Friday 31 January 2014

Ways to manage some specific fears

The thing about fear and worrying about the fear, is that it depends on how much it affects you. Everyone gets scared and worries, but how far in advance does it cause problems? Does it interfere with your usual functioning? Does it prevent you from doing things? Does it affect your health?

There are some great treatments for specific common fears...


Fear of the dentist
  • Choose an acute homeopathic remedy to help your anxiety
  • Speak to us for more advice on remedies you can take to deal with dental treatment – like pain following treatment, bruising, healing etc
  • Have a look at NHS advice for dental fears

I personally have suffered with fear of the dentist - mine was founded on painful treatment as a teenager which then stopped me going to the dentist for around 10 years. Of course, this then meant that I needed more treatment which made me even more anxious. I was able to reduce my worrying by finding a sympathetic dentist, taking my i-pod (and playing it loudly so I couldnt hear any noise and it distracted me) and from using homepathy.  I dont like going to the dentist, but it no longer creates any symptoms in me.

Fear of flying
  • Ask your GP for a referral for CBT to help address your anxiety
  • Choose an acute homeopathic remedy to help
  • If your anxiety prevents your flying at all, various airlines offer Fear of Flyong courses. These might be worth looking into if it prevents you from taking a fantastic holiday or prevents your career expanding
Again, I'm not a confident flyer but with the use of a good remedy I can fly without any real problems.

Speaking in public
This is a very common social fear and again uses some of the same tactics as above...
  • Choose an acute homeopathic remedy
  • If your job means you have to speak publicly a lot and it really disrupts your life, try asking for some CBT from your GP
  • There are lots of articles online which offer sensible advice - try this one from Psychology Today
Have a look at our personal blogs to see how we both manage this one!

General tips

  • Check your diet to see if you can change something to help - some great advice is available on the NHS website here
  • Look up Mindfulness on Google - its a technique to help you stay in the moment rather than getting caught up in the 'what if' scenarios








No comments:

Post a Comment